One of the most routine issues that we come acress at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Roanoke is filthy air filters. They can seem like a very insignificant piece of the whole home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us maintain comfort is a lot larger than most homeowners recognize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a clogged air filter can cause a variety of problems for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you forget to switch out your air filter? Here are a just a couple of the side effects you might encounter:
- Decreased airflow. This is easily the greatest headache you’ll recognize when your home’s air filter is badly clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being switched, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this inhibits air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working quite a bit harder to leave you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is operating harder due to a clogged air filter, you also run the risk of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s operating overtime to provide you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a possibility if your air filter goes unchanged for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something gives out or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off all the time. When your system short cycles, it can overheat or break down from the added work, which could end up causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A shorter equipment lifecycle
- Lower energy efficiency
- Lower air quality
- More dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last switched out your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to avoid any potential damage that might come with a clogged air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the variety of air filters we have, give Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning a call at 540-302-8645 or schedule an appointment online.