Every year over 20,000 people end up in the ER because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as confirmed by the CDC, is given off by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the winter months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep your home safe, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with a few tips to safety warm your home.
- Put in a CO detector on every floor of your home and swap out the batteries every year.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, a distance over three feet away from furnaces, space heaters, fire places, or stoves.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, make sure you check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Power off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like ceramic tile. Keep kids and furbabies away from space heaters.
- When investing in a new space heater, invest in a model that shuts off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Do not use a stove to warm your home.
- Have all stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all types of furnaces professionally inspected and cleaned every year.
The best thing you can do for your furnace is to ensure it’s not only all set to keep your home warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your heating tune-up. During your heating tune-up, Service Experts will check to ensure your heating system is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 540-302-8645 today and learn how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.