When rough weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair technician to check your system afterwards, they can likely provide you with good news that your prep paid off.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time may not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during bad weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets tossed around during threatening weather. Just make sure you have turned the system fully off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a secure place so that they don’t get thrown around during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to head outdoors, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Roanoke, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other issues that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best get ready for threatening weather in Roanoke or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 540-302-8645 or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.