Stay Cool During Summer Activities in Roanoke
Summer is usually a hectic time of year for many people in Roanoke. Whether it’s a family reunion, a long vacation or any variety of other fun activities, summer not only brings about crazy schedules, but that dreaded Roanoke heat as well.
We know you’ve already taken care of all of your AC repair and air conditioner service needs long before summer came, so what else can you do to stay cool during those days where you can’t go to an air conditioned oasis? Health Canada has a couple pointers:
- Stay in air conditioned places as much as you can. Of course, outdoor activities make this hard, but if you are able to take a couple-minute break and utilize an air conditioned building at a park or a vehicle’s air conditioning, take advantage of it.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Sip on your drink even if you don't think thirsty, as thirst can be an early warning of dehydration. If you begin noticing muscle cramps, take a break as it can also be an early indicator of dehydration or another heat-related illness.
- Take precautions when scheduling outdoor activities. Any sort of workout or athletic practices should be done earlier or later in the day when the Roanoke temperatures are lower.
- Dress to stay cooler in higher temperatures. Light-colored, lightweight and loose-fitting clothing are your best choice.
- Keep your shower or bath a little colder than normal. It can help you cool down a little quicker so you can get back to reveling in your home’s air conditioning.