Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other room to your residence, being comfortable in your new room no matter the weather is a priority. However, they can present a unique challenge for contentment. This is because extending ductwork is expensive. And that your heating and cooling system may not be deal with the heightened load, as it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most cost-effective options is to install a mini-split. This system offers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork required. Find out more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition can be a fantastic option.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Work
A ductless mini-split, as they’re much like ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have relied on for decades.
Heat pumps are very energy efficient since they shift heat to make your room cozier. In reality, many have earned ENERGY STAR® certification, which can make you eligible for additional rebates and reduce your heating and cooling costs for years to come.
Another special feature includes zoned heating and cooling. Because each room often has its own indoor unit, you can select your preferred temperature from room to room. As an example, a mini-split AC is very useful if you have a room with special temperature needs, such as a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Addition
Installing a mini-split system is worth it for areas that lack ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s better than installing ductwork and using your existing heating and cooling system.
- Installing ductwork is costly. Extending ductwork in your new addition can be costly. Although the total figure will depend on your house, it could be thousands of dollars.
- Your current home comfort system may become overwhelmed. When your current heating and cooling system was installed, it was based on the square footage of your house before the addition. This can overwork your system and make it wear out faster.
- Your comfort may be affected. Since your heating and cooling system is sized for exact square footage, your comfort may decrease if your system is required to manage a bigger space. Your heating and cooling might be less efficient, and your electricity and gas expenses might get more expensive due to the system needing to switch on more regularly.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Install
Like traditional systems, mini-splits are offered in varying sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most frequently installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you partner our Experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we’ll help you get the right size for your new space. And your budget.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can create big energy savings over its life cycle, which can be 20 years or more when routinely tuned up. ENERGY STAR says getting one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning for Your Mini-Split Installation
From answering all your questions and helping you pick the ideal model to providing Expert mini-split installation, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can accommodate all your mini-split needs. If you’re planning a home addition or recently completed one, we can provide assistance. Reach us at 540-302-8645 right away to request a free consultation and estimate.