Cooler months in Roanoke are near. In fact, the months of October through February have a history of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances taking place in the course of those months. To understand the safety of your home, set up an annual furnace service now, before the middle of winter is upon us.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners know that their furnace could discharge deadly carbon monoxide gas, but greater than half don't do anything to prevent it from occurring.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be surprisingly harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be mistaken for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that uses fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the chance to release carbon monoxide if the system is not operating as it should be or if it wasn’t installed correctly.
Your annual furnace service company can help find any possible issues. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Make sure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Look for any other out-of-place things that may compromise your safety
- Help you uncover any additional areas where you may want to end up adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is working at its top efficiency, helping provide peace-of-mind that you’re in a good spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to know that many furnace manufacturers might require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the experts at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 540-302-8645 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the colder months.