How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Roanoke Home

February 11, 2015

According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments answer to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide calls each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s often connected to wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources along with gas or oil furnaces.

Why is Carbon Monoxide so important?

Carbon monoxide can be deadly; its that simple. CO2 is one of the leading ways of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning can be mistakenly labeled as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning an often hidden enemy that can be fatal over several years, or within just a few short hours. Serious poisoning takes place from breathing large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning may also happen gradually over many months or years. Some symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.

So what can you do?

  1. Buy a CO2 detector for each room of your home. You can phone Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to purchase one today.
  2. If you do have a CO detector that is battery-powered, check or replace the batteries regularly; at least every 90 days. It's also a good idea to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
  3. If you experience or have experienced any of the symptoms cited above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.

*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Contact Us