How to Protect Your Family from Carbon Monoxide
Many common household appliances release carbon monoxide
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that may build to unsafe levels in your home when fuel-burning devices are not correctly vented, operated or maintained. Breathing in CO could cause carbon monoxide poisoning which attacks the nervous system, heart and could be fatal. It’s critical to have your home tested for carbon monoxide regularly to help ensure safe air quality.
Common sources of CO in homes include certain:
- Space heaters
- Water heaters
- Clothes dryers
What do you know about CO?
Our survey results show the alarming lack of information homeowners have about the hazards of carbon monoxide:
- 66% don’t know if they would identify the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning (headache, nausea, dizziness, or confusion).
- 94% of homeowners know that the furnace can discharge deadly carbon monoxide gas, but more than half (54%) don’t get an annual furnace tune-up, a simple step that can help ensure proper furnace operation and venting.
- 54% don’t know the preferred place in the home to install a carbon monoxide detector (the Consumer Product Safety Commission suggests a detector outside of each separate sleeping area).
- More than half of homeowners (54%) don’t know that the clothes dryer can be a source of carbon monoxide; 25% don’t know that that fireplace also can be a source. Other potential sources include gas water heaters, gas ranges, charcoal grills, gas space heaters and wood burning stoves.
- Over one third of homeowners (34%) don’t have or are not sure if they have a carbon monoxide detector in their home; 41% say they never swap out their carbon monoxide detector, or they aren’t sure how often it is changed.
Determine your home’s CO risk
With a routine home comfort analysis, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Roanoke could help keep your family safe this winter. Visit ServiceExperts.com/CO-Safety, call 540-302-8645 or use our online scheduler to set up an analysis of CO and other harmful indoor air pollutant levels.