Spring is wonderful for more than a few reasons: flowers bloom, you can crack windows for crisp air and your energy bill is often at its cheapest. That’s because you’re not using your heater or air.
But as temps begin to rise, so do your energy bills. Here are a couple of suggestions for saving energy in Roanoke and keeping payments lower.
1. Schedule Yearly AC Maintenance
Giving your cooling system a yearly maintenance visit can help it operate more efficiently and scale down costs. Replacing your air filter will help keep utility charges less expensive.
If your air conditioning equipment has seen better days, spring is a smart time to update it. The energy-saving features in newer AC systems is a huge plus in keeping your utility expenses down.
2. Turn to Your Thermostat
There’s an easy way you can save up to 10% on heating and cooling charges. Just set your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours each day.
Learning how to efficiently use your thermostat is the easiest way to reduce energy bills in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re in the house. Consider it this way, the lower the difference between exterior temperatures and interior temperatures, the lower your air conditioning expense will be.
- When you’re away, set the thermostat to a lot higher temperature or switch it off. There’s no reason to cool an empty house.
3. Try Other Ways to Cool Your Home
You can do a few other things to help keep your home at the right temperature:
- Use a ceiling fan—By using a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no reduction in comfort. Have your fan move counterclockwise during the summer, which drives cool air upward. This disperses cool air more evenly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds shut—Sunlight quickly transforms into heat as it moves through windows. Keep your home more comfortable by closing blinds and curtains when you’re not sitting in sunny areas.
4. Consider Installing a Smart Thermostat
You’re out of the house and abruptly realize you forgot to turn up the thermostat. Then you stew about it the full day!
Smart thermostats learn your habits and move the temp when you’re out to help you save on your bills. You can also change the temperature from anywhere with your phone.
These pro ideas will all help keep summer energy expenses low. If you figure out it’s time to improve your thermostat or need AC installation, call us at 540-302-8645 or contact us online. We’ll help you find the best fit for your house. And as usual, all our services are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.