Spring is wonderful for many reasons: flowers bloom, you can crack windows for crisp air and your utility bill is often at its lowest. That’s because you’re not relying on your heater or air conditioner.
But as mercury begins to climb, so do your energy bills. Here are a couple of tips for saving energy in Roanoke and keeping payments lower.
1. Schedule Annual AC Maintenance
Giving your cooling system a yearly maintenance visit can help it operate more efficiently and scale down costs. Replacing your air filter will help keep energy charges less expensive.
If your air conditioning equipment has seen better days, spring is a smart time to upgrade it. The energy-saving technology in modern air conditioning systems is a big benefit for keeping your utility expenses down.
2. Turn to Your Thermostat
There’s an easy way you can save up to 10% on heating and cooling charges. Just set your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Learning how to efficiently work your thermostat is the easiest way to lower energy bills in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re at home. Consider it this way, the lower the difference between exterior temperatures and interior temperatures, the lower your energy expense will be.
- When you’re away, set the thermostat to a lot higher temperature or switch it off. There’s no reason to cool an empty home.
3. Take Advantage of Other Ways to Cool Your House
You can do a few other things to help keep your home at the right temperature:
- Use a ceiling fan—By using a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no reduction in comfort. Have your fan turn counterclockwise during the summer, which drives cool air upward. This disperses cool air more equally when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds shut—Sunlight quickly converts to heat as it moves through windows. Keep your home more comfortable by drawing blinds and curtains when you’re not using sunny rooms.
4. Consider Installing a Smart Thermostat
You’re out of the house and immediately realize you neglected to turn up the thermostat. Then you worry about it the full day!
Smart thermostats learn your habits and move the temp when you’re out and about to help you save on your bills. You can also change the conditions from anywhere with your phone.
These pro tips will all help keep summer energy expenses less expensive. If you figure out it’s time to improve your thermostat or need AC installation, call our team at 540-302-8645 or contact us online. We’ll help you find the best product for your home. And as usual, all our services are protected by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.